Saturday, August 7, 2010

Welcome to the Freak Show


The bearded woman smiled at me,
Then took my last fifty cents.
I took a breath,
Scared to death,
By the aura of the tents.

 

As I entered cautiously,
My skin began to crawl.
The air was thick,
And I felt sick,
I heard a man then call.

 

"Welcome to the Freak Show",
Was what he said to me.
It seemed like hell,
Though I could tell,
Fake from reality.

 

"These things you are about to see,
Are going to blow your mind.
"Nature's freaks,
Forsaken geeks,
The weirdest sights you'll find."

 

Down an endless corridor,
Were rooms set on display.
I almost balked,
Then slowly walked,
Toward the first lit bay.

 

Inside there sat one lone man,
As normal as me and you.
Then I saw,
To my awe,
Three legs instead of two.

 

In the next opening,
Waving claw shaped hands,
I could see,
The deformity.
They called The Lobster Man.

 

Then I heard a high shrill squeal,
Coming from next door.
My body froze,
When I saw the nose,
Of the Pig-Girl on the floor.

 

As I moved on I could hear,
A woman laughing at me.
Then I was aware,
Of a rocking chair,
With a lady both huge and scary.

 

In the next stall I then saw,
A man that had two heads.
Both heads turned,
And murmured two words,
"Go Back" was all they said.

 

I looked back from where I came,
And nothing looked the same.
Each opening,
That I had seen,
Was now a closed dark frame.

 

Looking forward down the corridor,
I saw a twinkling light.
Despite my fear,
It seemed near,
So I continued to see the sights.

 

In the next room I could see,
A man dressed all in white.
Protruding from him,
Was his dead twin,
His body, no head in sight.

 

Next a young boy covered in hair,
His body completely engulfed.
His sign shared,
Please beware,
Of the world's only Human Wolf.

 

Then I saw the scariest of all,
Horribly deformed and bent.
The crippled body,
The mangled oddity,
The man they called Elephant.

 

He motioned toward the entrance,
Tried to point me there.
I misunderstood,
And solemnly stood.
It seemed all I could do was stare.

 

I'd seen twenty or more horrors,
Was overcome with sadness.
How could fools,
Be so cruel.
What justified this madness?

 

Then I saw the twinkling light,
Coming from the final stall.
As I arrived,
I realized,
It was no light at all.

 

Instead there stood a mirror,
About 3 and a half feet tall.
I was aghast,
When at last,
The reflection I then saw.

 

I could see my whole body,
My face was white and pale.
Behind me,
There seemed to be,
A long and dangling tail.

 

The sign in front of the last stall read,
"This is the final exhibit.
Please enjoy,
The Monkey Boy",
There was no door or exit.




Copyright © August 2010
Kevin Mooney

kmm001
080710

No comments:

Post a Comment