Thursday, June 3, 2010

I Came Upon...


I came upon a poor old man,
Sitting by the road.
I asked him where he came from,
He said he didn't know.
I extended him a helping hand,
He thanked me just the same.
I gave him what little money I had,
He asked me for my name.

As I started on my way,
I smiled and wished him well.
He thanked me for my generosity,
Was grateful I could tell.
As I turned to pull away,
I looked around to see.
The poor old man give a wave,
And smiled right back at me.

I came upon dying dog,
Lying by the road.
The victim of a hit and run,
He looked just like my own.
I picked him up carefully,
And laid him in my car.
I took him to the nearest vet,
It wasn't really that far.

As I laid the poor fellow down,
He gently licked my hand.
He never made a single sound,
Until surgery began.
I told the nurse I'd be glad to pay,
But he wasn't really mine.
She said it had been his lucky day,
I got him there just in time.

I waited around just to see,
How it all turned out.
I was praying silently,
When the nurse finally walked out.
She said the dog would make it.
She said he'd be just fine.
I was glad I didn't forsake it.
Gone and left him behind.

I asked if I could see him?
She said it'd be alright.
The doctor's still in there with him.
He'd have to stay the night.
I opened the door without a peep,
The vet turned to shake my hand.
I think my heart then skipped a beat,
For there stood that poor old man.




Copyright © March 2010
Kevin Mooney


kmm001

030110




No comments:

Post a Comment