Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Anatomy of an Urge



It begins as a thought,
A momentary crave.
A small trickle of desire.
An inner suppressed craze.

At first I discard it,
Put it's notion to bed.
I'm unable to disregard it,
As my brainwaves are fed.

It lurks in my mind,
Though nothings been said.
It creeps and unwinds,
Grows where it's been bred.

The pressure's overwhelming,
All my thoughts are led,
The stimulus of it tells me,
It's locked in my head.

I want to ignore it,
Block it's attraction out.
My mind still explores it,
Without a fraction of doubt.

The feeling escalates,
The more I bout,
Soon I gravitate,
Toward what it's about.

It swells into a hankering,
Never levels out,
Before I know it I'm yearning,
Unable to do without.

The yearn becomes hunger,
The hunger becomes need,
The need turns into a frenzy,
It's a vile, aweful disease.

It's hard to avoid it,
The gravitational pull.
Soon I can't stand it.
The conjugational null.

So I satisfy my desire,
Quench my thirst.
The gratified fire,
Will no longer burst.

It never seems enough though,
As the flame retracts,
A dominating inferno,
Has a way of coming back.

Like a wave that's crested,
It's ebb rescinds.
The power of appetition,
Is where compulsion begins.

To gratify one's libido,
Is a momentary purge,
Impulses devoid of veto,
The propensity of an urge.



Copyright © October 2009
Kevin Mooney

kmm001
100809



No comments:

Post a Comment