Thursday, May 13, 2010

Hand Me Down Life


My life seems kind of simple,
I s'pose I cain't complain.
I gots just 'bout everthain,
There's no need to be ashamed.

A wife, a house and a fam'ly,
2 yung'uns and my own yard.
3 hound dogs, inside plumbin',
An attached garage and 3 used cars.

I'd say we ain't a hurtin'
Weez certainly far from poor.
Can't help but wonder why it is though,
Every thing's been used before.

Oh Lord I weren't the man who'd go,
And ever asked for much.
I was your biggest fan, you know,
I always kept in touch.
You helped me learn to stand and grow.
And gave me a wonderful wife.
I just don't understand it though.
Why I have a hand-me-down life.

My house was a lived in, by a prior family,
It's really kind of funny how I got it actually.
My wife she was a married to another man 'fore me,
When we met she'd just divorced,
was friendly as can be.

I'd always had 2 hound dogs, to keep me company,
Then I moved into her house
with a cocker named Tiffany.
A used dog...
I liked her just fine, though she was a bit phoofy,
My other dog Kimba always went outside to pee.

Never had a new car,
they was always owned before me.
I take that back, we got a new Le Sabre back in 1993.
Wrecked it though, it figures.
Only new car I ever had.
I remember now when I got it,
everyone thought it belonged to my dad.

Oh Lord I'm a man, you know,
who takes life seriously.
I always try do my best,
to live life comfortably.
Ain't one to take a stand,
don't want to cause no strife.
I just don't understand it, though,
me and my hand-me-down life.

My woman was married before, you know,
her man cheated wantonly,
I met her on the rebound,
a blind date where we both could see.
Didn't mind that she was used,
though, it was a comfort actually,
Knowin' she'd been down that road before
meant all the world to me.

Somethings are better worn a little,
they need no warranty,
If ever they get broke or torn,
your not out all that money.
Woman are kind of the same sometimes,
twice married makes 'em contrite,
Hell, it really ain't all that bad,
sort of takes out most the fight.

Don't think me too ungrateful,
for all the blessings I got,
I usually have my plateful,
whether life's worn or not.
It's really rather fateful,
though, seems I'm doing alright,
I 'spose I should remain faithful,
there's worse things than a hand-me-down wife.

So thanks Lord for what you've provided,
true love and prosperity,
And all those daily reminders
of what a good husband ought to be.
For those of you still single,
still lookin' for that perfect wife.
Remember this here lesson,
ain't nothing wrong with a hand-me-down life.



Copyright © Spetember 2009
Kevin Mooney

kmm001
110809

No comments:

Post a Comment