Saturday, May 8, 2010

Poignantly Calm




I thought I saw Elvis Presley today,
Sunglasses, raised collar, a coal black toupee.
He drove a pink cadi with ornate trim,
A convertible polished from end to end.
His upper lip curled as he looked over at me,
A voice on the radio sang Tenderly.

And then there was this calm...

I thought I saw Abraham Lincoln today,
At a mall in the food court, carrying a tray,
A fine black suit and stovepipe hat,
Groomed grey beard and the way that he sat...
Raised visions of a statue in Washington, D.C.,
As I stared at him, he then stared at me.

And again, there was a calm...

I thought I saw Jesus in the clouds today,
His head was bowed, in a spiritual way,
There was pain in his eyes, a sympathetic tear,
And I heard a voice whisper softly and clear.
My son I am coming, it's time you see,
The world has neglected what's important to me.

And all was desperately calm...

Two score and 9 died in a flash,
As a plane bound for Buffalo suddenly crashed,
A man on the ground was killed as well,
The victim of the plane's fiery hell,
A plane left Brazil, got lost in a storm,
Eleven score eight from their seats were torn,
A man walked into a crowded museum,
Hoping his intended victims not see him,
A father decided to do things his way,
He killed his whole family, then walked away.

The world was deafeningly calm...

What could the meaning of these prophesies be?
They all seem so vivdly real to me,
I looked to the sky and began to pray,
Lord, how'd the world get this way?
Are these the signs of an apocalyptic storm?
Subtle reminders? Revelation's faint horn?
Give me the strength, the fervor of psalm,
To decipher illusions so poignantly calm.

And then it began to rain...



Copyright © May 2009
Kevin Mooney

kmm001
101409

No comments:

Post a Comment